These soft banana nut muffins are packed with walnuts for a truly delicious experience. These are the perfect way to use up some overripe bananas.
Personally, I like these for breakfast, but the beauty of banana muffins is that these are sweet enough to be served as a snack or even dessert!
This recipe is a variation of my banana bread recipe.
How to make these muffins
- Start by adding your overripe bananas into your mixer and whisk on high for 2 minutes to mash them. Then, add in your melted butter and mix for 1 minute.
- Combine both sugars into your bananas. Mix for two minutes, then add in your eggs and vanilla and mix again for 1 minute.
- Add your baking soda, whisk this into your batter. Then add in your flour, mix until flour is just incorporated.
- Add in your chopped nuts and stir with a rubber spatula gently to mix them. Then scoop the batter into your muffin pan with liners and fill each section half full. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-18 minutes.
Tips for making banana nut muffins
- Use bananas that are ripe or slightly going brown on the peel. These are naturally sweeter and provide the best texture for this recipe.
- Don't overmix your batter or your muffins will be dense and not very fluffy.
- Mix half your nuts in the batter, and save the other half to sprinkle on top.
- For easy clean up, use muffin liners or cupcake liners.
FAQ about making these muffins
They were over mixed. Next time mix your batter just until the flour is incorporated.
Again, don't overmix your batter and avoid using green bananas. They aren't the right texture for this recipe.
My favorite is chopped walnuts, but cashews or pistachios are other tasty options!
These banana muffins can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 3 days before they start to look their freshness.
More Muffin Recipes:
- Jumbo Blueberry Muffins
- Jumbo Double Chocolate chip muffins
- Easy Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Pineapple Banana Muffins
Banana Nut Muffins
These soft banana nut muffins are packed with walnuts for an added crunch. Makes the best breakfast, snack, or light dessert.
- 4 bananas
- ½ cup salted butter melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, add the bananas to your mixing bowl and with the whisk attachment, mix for about 2 minutes.
Then, add in the melted butter to the mashed bananas. Mix for about 1 minute. Then add in both sugars. You will then mix for about 2 minutes until the sugar has been mixed well.
The next thing you will do is add in the eggs. Mix well, and then add in your vanilla extract and baking soda.
Finally, add in the flour. Mix until just incorporated, then stir in the chopped walnuts.
Place cupcake liners in a muffin pan, and then scoop the banana nut muffin batter into the liners filling them up half-way.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a muffin.
- Avoid over mixing your batter once you start adding the flour. This will keep your banana muffins soft, light, and fluffy.
- Use overripe bananas for the best flavor.