My story of Gestational Hypertension & Pre-eclampsia

Last updated on November 30th, 2018 at 03:12 pm

My Story of Gestational Hypertension - #gestationalhypertension #pregnancy

When I was pregnant with my DS (dear son), I had gestational hypertension that turned into Pre-eclampsia.

I was at my 34 week appointment, and my blood pressure was high. 150/90. Not exponentially high, but still high. I had always had rather low blood pressures 105/70. They checked it again, and because it didn’t go down, I had to take the 24 hour pee test. Nothing sexier than lugging that orange bottle, and pee hat home with you. My protein in my urine wasn’t high enough for them to call it pre-eclampsia, so they stated I had gestational hypertension. I then started coming in once a week to have my appointments. Also, my doctor wanted to get another growth scan, because gestational hypertension can cause a baby to not get enough nutrients and stop growing (IUGR). At the scan, baby was measuring less than 5th percentile (which is considered IUGR) so I got concerned.

My doctor than made arrangements to have my scheduled c-section brought up to 37 weeks. I was going to meet my little guy earlier than I thought!
On 9/11/2017, we went into the hospital around 5:00am. I had to answer all the questions about when I last ate, and pee in a cup to make sure my protein levels weren’t any higher than at my last check-up. Then, they put the monitor belt on to monitor baby’s heart beat. Also, they started my IV. Then they gave us scrubs to put on, and I had to take my jewelry off. (All this happening while my daughter was being watched by my In-laws)—so blessed they were able to watch her.

Before they wheeled us into the OR, they gave me this liquid to drink per anesthesiology’s request. That stuff was awful! When we reached the OR, they had me walk into the room, but we were told not to touch anything that was blue (as this was sterile.) The anesthesiologist came in and informed me they were going to give me the epidural, but first they were going to numb the area. I had already experienced this once with my daughter, so I knew what to expect there. Before I knew it, I was going numb. As they laid me back down, I started to immediately feel sick. They gave me a gag bag, and I definitely used it. After throwing up whatever that nasty medicine stuff was they gave me in the beginning, I felt much better.

My doctor walked in and things started going. They told me when I would feel a lot of pressure, and when I would feel tugging. They got my little guy out and he was perfect! He immediately starting crying, and had a great set of lungs. They weighed him at 5 pounds 11 ounces and 16 inches long. They wrapped him up good, and handed him to my husband. Jeremy held him close to me so I could kiss him. Then one of the nurses took our camera and took our first family photo with our son (only one missing was Ellie).

Me (Left) Newborn Luke, Jeremy (Right)

Then, as they were starting to put things back and stitch things up, I started to feel a ton of pain in my left side. The epidural was starting to wear off, and I began to start shaking and shaking. I was so cold, and couldn’t stop it, but the pain was also tremendous. My doctor kept looking over at me, and then told the anesthesiologist to do something about the pain. At last, relief! They gave me some more medicine and it was like I was on a cloud. At this point, I was probably having a high from the medicine because I kept thanking everyone in the operating room.

Luke started making grunting noises, and showing signs of not being able to breathe properly. A nurse took him from Jeremy and they took his O2 stats which were reading lower than normal for a newborn. As they finished up the surgery and wheeled me back into my room, they didn’t let me hold Luke. He was having breathing problems, and so they had to call in an NICU doctor to evaluate him. When she came him, and looked him over, they decided they were going to admit him to the NICU. They let me hold him for about 2 minutes before wisking him off to the NICU.

Jeremy followed them to the NICU and the nurse was trying to get all my post-op stats. Turns out my oxygen was also measuring lower than normal. My nurse called in one of the attending physicians who had helped with the surgery, and he said he was going to get an x-ray and have me do incentive spirometer to help me start taking slower breaths. They got a chest x-ray, and then I started using the incentive spirometer, but it made me have to cough a bunch.

At this point, I think they started to be concerned with the possibility of it being a blood clot in my lung. They kept asking me if I had asthma, which I answered no to. Then they had a EKG done on me. I kept coughing, so they couldn’t get accurate results. Then, they were going to rush me down to get a CAT scan, so make sure it wasn’t a blood clot in my lungs. About this time, Jeremy came back to my room, and they were wheeling me out. Poor guy, had to see both his new son, and now his wife being wheeled out because both of us were having breathing difficulties.

Long story short, I didn’t have a blood clot. I just had a bunch of fluid in my lungs that was causing all the problems. They put me on Lasix to help jump start my kidneys to pee a bunch and rid my body of all the fluid. It definitely worked, as within 30 minutes, I had passed over 1000mL in my catheter collection.
My son ended up being in the NICU for about 12 days. You can read more about his ordeal here:Luke & His Pneumothorax.

It is by no means one of the worst stories associated with pre-eclampsia, but still rather scary. I am hoping that if we do decide to have any more children, I have normal blood pressure and can keep him/her in until at least 39weeks. If you had a similar story to mine, please comment below. Also, if you had gestational hypertension/pre-eclampsia, the next time you were pregnant, did you get it again? Thanks for reading, please comment, share, and subscribe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *