Ellie’s Birth Story

Last updated on May 3rd, 2018 at 01:08 pm

This post contains affiliate links, please see my disclosure page for more information.

December 2015

I went to my sonogram at 39 weeks. I was told previously that this would not take too long, and that it was just a growth check. Ellie had been measuring in the low percentiles, but not enough to be considered IUGR. During the sonogram, I had a different lady than I had at all my other sonograms. During the sonogram, I was keeping an eye on how much Ellie was measuring. For a lot of her measurements, she was measuring at 36 weeks. This was 3 weeks behind. Then the sonogram tech proceeds to do a couple other tests that I had not had previously. This ended up being a rather long sonogram after all. At the end she said Ellie was measuring at 5lbs. 6oz. I was unsure if this was a good weight or not, but I knew by some of the measurements that this was not good. I went back into the lobby to wait for my OBGYN appointment afterwards. As I waited, I texted Jeremy telling him that she was measuring small. He asked what the doctor said, if they had a definitive date for when she was going to be born. I told him I had not seen the doctor yet and was still waiting.

While in the waiting room, I saw my doctor practically run out from the sonogram rooms. I thought to myself, I wonder if she just looked over my scan? I brushed it off though, and continued to wait. I was finally called back by the nurse, and they checked my weight—which had lowered, and my blood pressure—which was normal. After was seemed like an unusually long wait, the doctor came in. She apologized for the wait, and then told me “are you ready to have this baby either today or tomorrow?” I nodded, and she then proceeded to discuss the results with me on the ultrasound. Apparently Ellie was measuring at the 5th percentile. The blood flow still looked good, and she was moving around a lot, so they weren’t concerned that she was in distress. She was however IUGR and I needed to be induced immediately. She then asked if I had anyone here, and I told her no. She said that she would call over to the hospital to get me in, and that I could go home and get my hospital bag and eat something. She also informed me that IUGR babies don’t take contractions well, and that there is a greater chance of having to have a c-section. I told her whatever was best for the baby, I didn’t care.

As I left the office, I called Jeremy and told him to meet me at home and that I was going to have to be induced today. As I drove home, it seemed unreal. I was worried about Ellie, but at the same time I was excited I would have my little baby soon. When I got home, I packed a few last minute necessities and then ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. As Jeremy drove me back to the hospital, we pondered if we would need pre-mature clothes/diapers, and if she would have to stay in the NICU. When we headed up to the maternity floor, we checked in and were taken to a room.

At 3:30pm they started the foley bulb, and put a medicine in me to help with the softening of the cervix. The nurse told us that when the bulb fell out, I would be dilated to a 4 cm, and then they could start the Pitocin drip. Right after putting in the bulb, I about passed out and also vomited up my peanut butter and jelly sandwich. One thing they don’t tell you is that sure you can go to the bathroom if you have to, but not really. I felt like peeing for so long, but every time I got up to go to the bathroom, I couldn’t force anything out. They also hooked me up to the fetal monitoring and contraction monitoring.

It wasn’t until about 11pm that the foley bulb finally fell out, and they were able to start the Pitocin. My contractions were all in my back. It was hell. They finally decided to give me my epidural. As you know, if you have had an epidural, you have to stay really still. This was hard especially with back contractions, but Jeremy was in front of me, and I bear hugged him as they got the epidural in.

Welcome Ellie Stephens!

After a few minutes, I was on cloud nine. I laid back in the bed, and was so relieved. All of a sudden though, 10-12 nurses/doctors came running in. They immediately put an oxygen mask on me. They were trying to find my daughter’s heartbeat. Unsuccessful, they started unhooking machines and raced me to the OR. Jeremy followed them in.

Ellie was born weighing 6 pounds 10 ounces and 18.5 inches long. She was bigger than the ultrasound expected, but we were told it can be off by a pound either way. We were definitely happy she was heavier than expected. After a few days of recovering, we were able to go home.

Please comment, and tell me what your experiences were if you had an emergency c-section. More posts coming soon…so don’t forget to subscribe so you won’t miss out. Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *