Advent calendars are a popular way to count down the days until Christmas. Each day you open the envelope or see what’s in that day. It’s a way to tell the story of Christmas and very popular among children.
There are some really great ones at the store, but you can also make some pretty cool DIY calendars too!
Here’s a list of the best DIY advent calendars and ideas. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed researching and finding these.
1. Polaroid Photo Countdown by Red Ted Art
This first one uses photos throughout the year and each day they flip the photo over revealing a special memory. Maggy from Red Ted Art uses polaroid photos as an added unique touch.
2. Wooden Advent Calendar with Paper Houses by Houseful of Handmade
This second one is absolutely charming! From the DIY wooden house to the little 25 paper houses inside, this is such a fun way to count down.
3. DIY Paper Ornaments for Advent by Sweet T Makes Three
Everyday you open these little ornaments and they become a star. This is another way to countdown for Christmas!
4.DIY advent calendar envelopes by All Things Mamma
This is a simple advent calendar idea using envelopes and numbered all the way up to 25.
5. Farmhouse Plaid Christmas Advent Calendar by Houseful of Handmade
This is another great idea by Houseful of Handmade. She made the beautiful little boxes for each day.
6. Ribbon and Burlap DIY advent calendar by Sustain My Craft Habit
The ribbons on this large burlap banner have a pocket system to fill each day with a different gift or candy.
7. Felt Nativity Advent Calendar by The Thrifty Couple
This nativity calendar is beautiful and also uses the pocket system so each day you can see what’s in the pocket.
8. Magnetic Christmas Countdown Advent Calendar by Our Crafty Mom
This magnetic countdown to Christmas sign is another great advent style calendar and its really easy to make.
9. Minimalist Hanging Advent Calendar by Francine’s Place Blog
While simple, this hanging advent calendar is another beautiful way to count down to Christmas. I love that she used a tree branch to hang the little cubes.
10. Vintage Advent Calendar Ladder by Our Crafty Mom
Our Crafty Mom also made this advent calendar ladder where she displays her burlap bags for each day.
11. Wood Slice Advent Christmas Tree Ornaments by Atta Girl Says
Atta Girl Says used wood slices to countdown to Christmas on her Christmas tree!
12. LEGO Advent Calendar by Little Bins for Little Hands
This next idea is perfect for kids especially those who love LEGOs. She has fun Christmas-themed LEGO sets to build each day to count down for Christmas.
13. Christmas Countdown Calendar by Messy Little Monster
This is another simple and fun DIY advent calendar to make with your kids. Every day they get to move the little yarn baby Jesus until the final day when he is in the yarn manger. Too cute!
14. DIY Felt Ornament Advent Calendar by PMQ for Two
PMQ for Two makes felt ornaments to hang on her tree after each day. They are really easy to make!
15. Easy Burlap Bag Advent Calendar by Blue & Hazel
This burlap bag calendar by Blue & Hazel is fun and easy! She uses string and mini clothespins to hang them up and each day you get to open a bag.
16. Printable Advent Calendar Ideas by Messy Little Monster
Messy Little Monster has some great printable ideas and activities to use with your Advent calendar this year.
Related Christmas Articles:
- Affordable Farmhouse Home Decor
- Family Christmas Pajamas
- Fun and Delicious Christmas Cookies
- Stocking Stuffers for your family
Does your family use Advent calendars? If so, do you usually purchase yours or do you like making yours? Leave me a comment below, would love to know!